Spiced Banana CakeDifficulty: Easy
2 ¼ cup all purpose flour
1 TSP baking powder
1 TSP baking soda
1 TSP pumpkin pie spice mix
½ TSP ground cinnamon
¼ TSP ground cardamom
½ TSP ground ginger
¼ TSP garam masala
½ TSP salt
1 cup whole milk
3 over ripe bananas, mashed
1 stick softened unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 TBSP black strap molasses
2 large eggs
1 TSP vanilla bean paste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Mix together flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, peel and mash bananas using the back of a fork. Next add milk and spices, mix thoroughly to combine. Set aside.
- Cream together softened butter, sugar and molasses in a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer for about 4 minutes or until the butter mixture is light and fluffy. Then gently stir in banana mixture and stir to combine with a rubber spatula. Next, add in flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer, until flour is just incorporated. Then switch to a rubber spatula and continue to fold in batter until any remaining flour is well incorporated.
- Transfer batter to 10” cast iron skillet and bake for 60 minutes, starting to check doneness around 45 minutes or until a bamboo skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 20 minutes before removing from pan completely. Serve with cinnamon spiced whipped cream.
- Makes one 9” loaf, is using loaf tin, bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes