Mushroom and Corn EmpanadasCourse: In Our Kitchen, Recipes, Appetizers, SnacksDifficulty: Easy
These empanadas make a perfect last minute party dish or great as a do ahead for meal prep and freeze. Great for game day, these empanadas will be a hit the next time you host friends and family for any get together!
1 package refrigerated double pie crust
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ cups corn kernels cut from the cob (or frozen corn, defrosted)
2 cups mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
2 cups kale, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add corn and mushrooms. Continue cooking until mushrooms begin to brown and vegetables soften. Add kale and cook until kale wilts. Stir in chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Cool completely. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Unroll pie crusts. Using a 6-inch round cutter, cut out 12 circles.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Brush egg wash around one side of a dough circle. Add 2 tablespoons of filling to the center of the circle. Fold the edges together to create a half moon shape. Crimp the edges with a fork, or fold the bottom edge over the top to seal. Repeat with remaining filling. If there is filling leftover, save it for another use.
- Once all the empanadas are folded, brush the outsides with remaining egg wash. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Can make with boneless chicken thighs. Simply skip cooking chicken for initial 15-20 minutes.