Spinach QuicheCourse: In Our Kitchen, Recipes, Breakfast, BrunchDifficulty: Easy
Our spinach quiche brings brunch home. Don’t want to make pie dough, swap with your favorite store bought. This quiche recipe will become a staple in your repertoire, as the ingredients are easy to swap out for what you have in your fridge and pantry. We love it because it is indulgent yet light. Perfect for recreating your favorite restaurant brunch at home!
4 large eggs
½ cup whole milk
½ cup heavy cream
¼ TSP Kosher salt
¼ TSP pepper
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 ½ – 2 cups sautéed fresh spinach
1 cup all purpose flour
½ TBSP sugar
½ TSP Kosher salt
1 stick cold unsalted butter
¼ cup cold water
- To make the pastry, whisk flour, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Cut butter into small half inch cubes then toss with flour mixture to break up the pieces. With your fingertips, smash each cube flat and then stir in the water. Then knead the dough against the sides of the bowl until it comes together in a shaggy ball.
- Then turn dough out onto a generously floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a roughly 10” by 15” rectangle. Fold the 10-inch sides to the center, then close the newly formed packet like a book. Fold in half once more, bringing the short sides together to create a thick block. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Using as much flour as needed, roll dough into a 14” circle; this size allows ample room to line the pie plate, with enough overhang to form a generous border. Transfer the dough to a 9” pie plate. Dust off excess flour with a pastry brush, using it to nestle dough into the very corners of the pan. With kitchen shears, trim the edge so that it overhangs by 1 ¼” all around. Fold overhang over itself to create a thick border that sits on the top edge of the pie plate. Crimp or shape the crust as desired. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- To blind bake the crust preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the chilled pie shell with a large sheet of parchment paper, pressing so it conforms to the curves of the plate. Fill to the brim with rice, beans or pie weights. Then transfer the pie plate to a half sheet pan, and bake until fully set and golden around the edges, about 60 to 75 minutes. Remove the pie crust from the oven and allow it to cool to room temperature. Gather the sides of the parchment paper together and remove the pie weights . If needed, continue baking the crust a few minutes more to brown along the bottom.
- While the crust is blind baking, make the filling by whisking all ingredients together except cheese and spinach. Sprinkle spinach and ¾ of the cheese into blind baked pie shell. Slowly pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese and fresh chopped herbs. Bake the quiche until the center is just about set, about 45-55 minutes. Allow to cool before unmolding.
- u003cliu003eCan make with boneless chicken thighs. Simply skip cooking chicken for initial 15-20 minutes.u003c/liu003e