Green Macaroni and Cheese
2 spring onions thinly sliced
4 cups milk
6 TBSP butter
½ cup all purpose flour
2 TSP Dijon mustard
2 ½ cup grated aged white cheddar cheese
½ cup cream cheese
4 ½ cup dried wide egg noodles, or about ½ a bag
1 romanesco broccoli cut into florets
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups kale, ribs removed and torn into bit sized pieces
1 ½ cups fresh bread crumbs
¼ cup almonds
1 TBSP pumpkin seeds
1 TBSP sunflower seeds
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 large pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 lemon, zested
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a heavy bottomed pot set over medium heat, saute spring onion with butter until onions have softened and slightly golden. Add in flour and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Next, add in your milk and whisk continuously until the sauce has thickened about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then add mustard, cream and cheddar cheese.
- Meanwhile in a large pot of salted water to a boil and the kale. Blanch kale until bright deep green color forms. Using a spider transfer blanched kale to the cheese sauce. Next, add in your romanesco broccoli florets and blanch for 3 minute. Using a spider remove half of the broccoli florets from the water and add to the sauce, then tip in the dried pasta and cook with remaining broccoli for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain thoroughly.
- Using an immersion blender or high powered blender, blend until smooth. Stir in the pasta, peas and remaining broccoli. This mixture should be fairly soupy.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a large 13 x 9” baking dish.
- To make the topping combine bread crumbs, almonds, seeds, parmesan cheese, lemon zest and crushed red pepper flakes into a bowl of a blender or food processor and blend until a crumbly mixture forms and almonds are mostly ground.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over the pasta and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the topping is crunchy, golden brown and the cheese sauce is bubbling.