Mushroom ToastCourse: In Our Kitchen, RecipesDifficulty: Easy
We are fans of fungus here and this take on breakfast toast has our hearts soaring. The perfect pairing if spreadable cheese and hearty, earthy mushrooms makes this recipe one to put into your arsenal ASAP.
2 Tablespoons butter
1 lb fresh chanterelle mushrooms
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/3 cup chopped fresh herbs (any combination basil, parsley, thyme, oregano, chives, etc)
4 slices toasted sourdough bread
½ cup Boursin cheese or garlic and herb cream cheese
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. Melt butter in the pan and add the mushrooms in an even layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes without moving mushrooms very much. Stir mushrooms and add lemon juice.
- Continuing cooking mushrooms until they begin to brown and release their juices. Add vegetable stock and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in fresh herbs.
- Spread each slice of toast with 2 tablespoons of cheese spread. Top with ¼ of mushrooms and garnish with additional herbs.
- At this stage you can scoop to freeze your cookie dough by scooping dough with a cookie scoop onto a lined rimmed baking sheet, then placing the sheet into your freezer for 30 minutes. Once the dough is frozen, remove the baking sheet from the freezer and separate the individual cookie balls and place into a freezer safe storage bag. Label with the date and baking instructions. Seal the bag and place it in the freezer to enjoy at a later date.
- Do not freeze the dough with flaky salt. Instead only add prior to baking.